Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 100, Post Bone Marrow Transplant

I know, it's been a long time, sorry!!  I've had an incredibly draining and tiring 100 days post transplant period (day 100 was Nov. 1st and is considered a major milestone in BMTs).  I've felt more tired than usual, taking often more than 30 pills a day, most of them prescription and most of them with heavy duty side effects.  I've only recently begun weaning off of them, and up until 2 weeks ago my hemoglobin levels hovered around 6-7, when more like 12-18 is "normal" range for a woman my size and age.  I was getting blood infusions every week and finally had a turn around two weeks ago!!

I am now making my own hemoglobin, which MEANS- that I AM A MAN!!!! :)  Ok, not really a MAN, but I do have XY chromosomes in my blood, instead of XX for a female.  Thanks Zach!!  Now we are going to be the closest siblings ever!  :)  The fact that I can produce my own hemoglobin does mean my blood type has changed, from O+ to Zach's, A something (do people really remember the + or -?)  The most important thing my own hemoglobin means:  I have energy!!!!  It may not be at awesome levels yet, but it's coming!  

The last two weeks have been so much better for how I feel every day, and a good thing too- because a lot has happened recently!!  Adam has accepted a position in our home state of UTAH and we're moving across country in 1 1/2 weeks!!  Soon after accepting that and coming to terms with a horrible time of year to be packing and moving...  We had to deal with Hurricane Sandy and no power or heat for a week!!  So after a few long days of camping out in our house and crazy riotous lines for gas, we went to Boston over the weekend to stay in a hotel with heat and a gas station nearby- NO lines :)  

While IN a Boston graveyard on a tour these nice people recognized me and my family from the Mormon video!  Even knew my name!  How surprising it was to hear my name said from behind me and to look around and not know the people who said it :)  They were so nice, and are the reason I've decided to start blogging again.  

Now we're back, celebrated Halloween late, and are off to a slow packing/shedding start before the big cross country drive over Thanksgiving week.  Today I have an appointment for a bone marrow biopsy and results from my first PETScan since remission, at 2pm- it's 10am and I'm feeling nervous as I've ever felt- my stomach is rumbly and I feel sick.  I may be able to be mentally be stoic but my body sure can't control itself!!  I'll post as soon as possible after my appointment to share the news!


6 comments:

  1. Tessa:

    It was so, so neat to meet you. I am the stranger (pictured above with my business colleague, Marie) that intruded on you and your family vacation time in Boston.

    I regretted not getting a picture with you for myself, so imagine my surprise and joy when I noticed you had posted one. Thank you. As I mentioned at the time, you are an inspiration. Thank you for your example, your courage, your optimism, your faith. You are amazing and adorable in every sense. It was an absolute, uplifting pleasure to meet you and your cute family. Thank you for being so kind and gracious.

    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Randon Jensen
    Bountiful, UT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another stranger here! I've been checking back frequently to see if you've blogged and was beginning to worry. So glad to see you're back and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So my hubby is deployed and I stay up late doing random things like watching I am a Mormon videos and came across your story. Best of luck to you and your family! I just had to comment because scanning down your page I saw a familiar face. Your random meeting in Boston was with my college roommate! Love it! She is nice and awesome:) Anyway, I'm going to go to bed now but feel uplifted by your message of strength and your fighting attitude! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Cool post! I really like the choice of your posts especially that I am fund of reading books. I know for a fat that you can learn a lot of things when you read books. That is why it is important that you learn to teach and encourage kids to read. Parents also are encouraged to read aloud to their children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity on your submit is just great and that i could assume you are a professional on this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to snatch your feed to stay up to date with drawing close post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please carry on the gratifying work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the format to your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

    ReplyDelete