Friday, December 24, 2010

The Latest

It's blurry, but it's still cute!
   We made it to see Santa at Willowbrook Mall- the kids were so dang cute!  Mykelle was talking to Santa from the line, trying to tell him what she wanted before she even sat on his lap.  When it was finally her turn, she ran up to his lap and told him she wanted a baby Cinderella doll for Christmas and that she's been good!  I sure hope Santa was listening... she'll be heartbroken if she doesn't get that doll!  Evan was good sitting on his lap, but still hasn't got down the asking for a present thing.  He was just happy to see Santa.  

   I've had further updates on the cancer and chemo front, but haven't felt like writing for a while.  Things have been busy and I've been kind of down because I have to be in the hospital for most of Christmas.  But as I keep getting told, it's all so I can experience many more Christmases with my family in the future!  I was able to have another CT scan and a PET/CT scan that came back showing "dramatic" response to the chemo, but there still being some "residual disease" left.  I have yet to hear if the doc will require an extra session of chemo before I go through the stem-cell transplant.  Currently I am in the hospital receiving chemotherapy to bring down my blood count so that I can rebuild it up with twice daily Neupogen shots after which they'll remove my stem cells to freeze for the later transplant, date TBA.  Make sense? :)

   So I'm in the hospital now on my third day of chemo.  Should be out tomorrow evening some time.  It's not been too much fun this time around, though today is a good day.  When I first came in (after a fun morning at the mall seeing Santa) it took the chemo 8 hours to start getting administered to me which meant pushing back when I get out of the hospital.  I was also under the misunderstanding (because the doctors told me wrong) that I'd be getting out Christmas Eve- nope.  Christmas day.  Then, I had a roommate that was "anti-social" as her mom put it.  I guess that means being completely rude to people around her and being whiny and grumpy?  She also kept the heat up to 80 which was almost unbearable!  I asked for a room transfer in the morning after she'd been on the phone griping about her roommate situation  and after she'd slammed the door on me... I guess it pays to complain once in a while- I got transfered to a private room with a view! 

   The same day as the transfer I was scheduled to get a catheter put in my chest where I'll be getting the stem cells removed.  While getting wheeled down on a bed to the OR the guy steering me rammed into the wall- hard!  It was kind of funny until we realized I was leaking chemo all over the floor!  They had to send people down in blue suits and gloves with masks to clean it up- and to think, that stuff they are so scared to touch is going into my veins!   The doc was great though, he played Michael Jackson for us while I was getting the surgery (my request).  When I woke, I was in intense pain so I received morphine and oxycodone- I felt like neither was working and I just had to wait it out.  To top everything off, I threw up- my first time actually throwing up since this whole thing started, so not too bad I guess!  

   I'm feeling much better today- I've been watching movies (thanks Mimi) and was even able to paint my toenails!  Things are looking up, probably since I'll be heading out soon enough.  We've decided to do Christmas for our family another day- probably Monday or Tuesday so we can be all be together.  It's a good thing our kids don't know how to read a calendar yet!

   Once again, I need to thank everyone for their support.  I'm reminded daily how blessed I am to have such caring friends and family rooting for me.  I was sent this quote by C.S. Lewis and thought it would be nice to share-

   "Imagine yourself as a living house.  God comes in to rebuild that house.  At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing.  He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised.  But presently He starts knocking that house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense.  What on earth is He up to?  The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of -- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards.  You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

10 comments:

  1. So sorry that you had to be in the hospital for Christmas! But I am happy that your treatment seems to be going fairly well (aside from the nausea, vomiting, and rude roommates). I hope that you don't feel too sick to enjoy your "late" Christmas with your cute family. Hang in there! And MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tessa you are so strong! Despite the ugly parts of the chemo, you are kickin butt each day and each moment to moment. Very inspiring! If it makes you feel better, we all woke up on Christmas- sick! I haven't had the flu since a kid and it hit all of us hard! I don't think I have ever thrown up that hard before (even during pregnancy) We too did Christmas today (Sunday) because no one could enjoy it yesterday! All I have to say is....unforgettable!! Stay strong, you have a lot of fans out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote - replace palace with Temple and it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're awesome! Seriously. Sorry about your sad room mate. Glad you got a view, and yes, that does feel a little unnerving when they pull out the blue suites for what heals you...... :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish I could come over and visit! Obviously bringing illness into your house would be stupid so I'll just have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A palace is correct - or Temple, yes :) Beautiful and splendid and simply healthy and whole. I hope you're home now and having a lovely time with your family. You're so strong and positive. So glad you called to complain and got a room with a view. I've come to realize that what we think is complaining in New Jersey is just communicating to most of the natives - so "complain" or communicate your needs all the day long! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tessa, you are such a trooper. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. I love reading about how you and your family are doing. I really admire you and we look forward to visiting with you and Adam when that chance comes up. Tell Adam thanks for sending the Christmas card. We think about you guys often. Thanks for sharing that wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a friend of Adam's. I just heard about your diagnosis and my heart sank. I just spent the last two hours reading all you have been through. I am so sorry!!! It sounds like on top of having to deal with cancer you had to deal with lots of mean nurses and staff. That doesn't help. Do they know they are dealing with people that are fighting for their lives??? My 2 yr old son was diagnosed in July with Leukemia. We go to Primary Childrens Hospital once a week from St. George (not the shortest drive, but well worth it) The people there are literally angels. I think anyone working with these little kids have to be, but just because you are an adult doesn't make cancer any easier right??? I think all these docs and nurses you are dealing with need to have a little more compassion to what you are going through. You are one tough chick! Chase (that is my little boy) doesn't have a clue what is going on and when he feels crappy he has me here to take care of him. I can not even imagine having two kids to care for and having to battle cancer at the same time. You seriously AMAZE ME!!! I wish I lived closer and could help you in some way. My kids would have a blast with yours. Our family will be praying our guts out for you and your cute family. If you want to (in your spare time sitting around in the hospital) you can check out my blog. It is princehappyfamily.blogspot.com We love you guys and again will be praying our little hearts out. Chase just learned how to say his own prayers and loves when we get to pray for all the other people with cancer so we will add your name to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and not that you didn't look beautiful with hair, but you HONESTLY look AMAZING without it! So much that I forgot to mention that in the last post and I had to tell you! You have the most gorgeous smile I have ever seen (and I am a dental hygienist so I see a lot). Chase lost his hair today for the second time. We thought about shaving it but there wasn't enough to shave (it started growing back a few months ago) so we just used a lint roller and it came right off. I am a weirdo because I love his bald head and will be sad when it starts to grow back again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THe quote from CS Lewis gets me every time! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete